Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Road To Damascus

I was a traveler, a weary traveler. A Pharisee of all Pharisee's of the line and tribe of Benjamin. I was just a popular guy on the long dusty road to Damascus. It wasn't a pleasure trip. Some might call it business. I tremble now at the thought.
I was filled with a zeal and hatred for those they called friends of Jesus of Nazareth. A cornerstone for the cause killing human beings... and souls.  I refused to see the truth, too blinded by the sole thought that the cause was honorable. In my hand I clutched a scroll granting me permission to do what I wanted with those friends of Jesus signed by the Sanhedrin. They trusted me to fix this rebellion and my strong will and stubborn streak refused to let me fail.
I was to blinded by religion and power to see the cold truth that I was the rebel not those who died an honorable death for a cause they knew to be true.
So here I was on the top of the religious world on that lonely road to Damascus. I gripped the thin scroll tighter in my hand and peered my face upward towards the blazing sun. All of a sudden the sky burst into a brilliant light. A blinding light. Before I realized what was happening I was on the hot desert floor with my hand shielding my face in a protective gesture. The voice that spoke was one of heart break and it tore my own.
"Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"
"Who are you Lord?" I asked fearing the answer.
"I am Jesus whom you are persecuting."
At those words my whole mask of power, religion, and illusion of righteousness melted.
It took three days of being physically blind for me to see my lifelong spiritual blindness.  Now as I sit here wondering how many more would travel that beautiful rugged road to Damascus my pen scratches
For me to live is Christ to die is gain.
The story of Saul's conversion can be found in Acts chapter 9.

                                                                                                                    Written by Riley Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment